OUR VOLUNTEERS ROCK! They are the helping hands that make the operations of ACO programs and services possible. We are grateful for the 32,000+ hours given each year by more than 3,500 caring volunteers in our communities! Volunteers may give as much or as few hours of their time as their schedule allows.
Here are the three possible parts that are needed to become a volunteer at ACO:
Part 1 – Everyone who wants to volunteer, regardless of age, whether it is as a General Volunteer, Student Service Hours or Court Appointed, MUST complete an online Volunteer Application. For adults age 18 and older, please complete Part 2 and Part 3.
Part 2 – Volunteers age 18 and older must pay a $20.00 fee for a Background Check or if under age 18, volunteers must pay for a Court Appointed $20.00 fee.
Part 3 – Volunteers age 18 and older only, complete the online Background Check below.
- Once you have paid for the Volunteer Background Check in Part 2, you will receive the instructions on how to complete this last required step.
Are you a student and want to Volunteer?
- College and High School students may volunteer independently at the Resale Shop and the Food Pantry.
- Students under the age of 18 are required to get parent’s consent and must complete only Part 1 of the application.
- Students in Middle School (12-13 years of age) are required to volunteer with a parent.
*Volunteer Application is valid for 2 years.
Here are some of the many different ways you can volunteer your time at ACO. Click on the links below for detailed information:
- Resale Shops, including the Treasure Chest need volunteers for sorting clothing and items donated in the back of the store, preparing displays and items in the front of the store, and helping customers.
- Summer Kids Food and Back to School Supplies – these programs support families of Allen area kids who during the school year receive free or reduced meals. Volunteers are needed to help sort and bag summer food, as well as new school supplies for Back to School
- Holiday Food Drive – A large holiday food drive is held in early November and bags of food are packed just before Thanksgiving and distributed to families in need of food. Bags are again distributed to families at Christmastime.
- Holiday Adoption Program – A Christmas Adoption program to collect new clothes and shoes for children is coordinated by volunteers.
- Office Assistance/ Front Desk Volunteers During special times of the year such as holidays or before big events volunteers are also vital to the office staff to provide the extra helping hands to take care of the paper work, phone calling, and organization.
- Special Events are short-term projects to raise funds for ACO and are volunteer intensive. The Main Event, Golf Classic Tournament, and other events are fun and provide major fund-raising opportunities for ACO. They also provide a variety of ways for volunteers to help out.
There are also many opportunities to help out ACO that you can do on your own! Here are a few ideas…
- Service Projects Ideas Held Outside of the ACO Center Great for students, churches, scouts and organizations working as a group. Have a parent or adult verify your total hours spent on your project and the Director of Volunteer Services will sign off on your project.
- Food Drive for ACO Food Pantry (see list of items needed on ACO website)
- Clothing Drive for ACO Resale Shop (keep it broad or make it specific such as a blue jean drive, coat drive, used book drive, – visit the shop for more ideas)
- Hold a Care & Share Drive to help provide local families with household cleaning supplies and personal hygiene items.
After your application has cleared you may contact the following to get on the volunteer schedule.
- Food Pantry, (972) 727-9131 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resale Shop, 1-844-9RESALE (1-844-973-7253) or email@example.com
- Treasure Chest, firstname.lastname@example.org
For other programs and special projects contact Janis Christie, Director of Volunteer Services, 972-727-9131 or email@example.com.